Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Life Lesson in Adam Yauch's Death


Adam Yauch, "MCA" of The Beastie Boys, has passed away at the way-too-early age of 47.

There have been numerous others passing away too young but I would like to use Adam's death to push an agenda.

The agenda is simple...and the most important thing you can do in your life besides being compassionate and empathetic. Doing this one thing can actually make you more compassionate and empathetic.


Find something as a profession that lights a fire in you and then go out and make it happen. Now!

I have to think that Adam embraced his passion and lived his life to the fullest extent he knew how. It's extremely sad to hear about such passionate and talented people passing away too young but perhaps he felt quite fulfilled by what he accomplished.

You do not know how much time you have to get that passion, joy, and excitement back if you are not already pursuing it.

In my own case, like many of us I spent many years pursuing paths that really held no passion for me. I am just starting now with pursuing a career that lights a fire in me. I am just a couple years younger than Adam. There was a chance that I never got this opportunity. The really cool part is that just making the change may be enough to provide you with most of the self fulfillment you need to regain. It has for me.

You spend way too many hours at work to not be passionate about what you are doing for a career. If you know where that fire is, grab a dead stick and stick it in that fire. Get a good flame on the end of the stick and don't let anyone's wind try to blow it out as you take it home to start your own fire. New life can spring from a dead stick. If you don't know where that fire is, start gathering the ingredients you need to start your own fire.

Get the fire going before the heavy rains come.

RIP Adam Yauch.

1 comment: